|11/01/12 - E.ON progresses with construction of its wind farm in Caithness|
|Non Government Decentralised Energy Press Releases - Wind Energy|
E.ON progresses with construction of its wind farm in Caithness
E.ON will this week begin to prepare phase two construction of its Camster wind farm in Caithness.
The Camster wind farm will be situated between Lybster and Watten and feature 25 turbines capable of generating up to 50MW of electricity, enough power for up to 35,000 homes1.
Work began in late 2010 to prepare the site access roads; this included the construction of seven kilometres of access roads and the upgrade of three bridges, to enable them to carry the weight of construction vehicles.
Phase two will include building a temporary construction compound, wind turbine foundations, a permanent met mast and more site access tracks.
Dean Guy, Construction Project Manager at E.ON, said: "This is a major development for us. The Camster site is an excellent place for a wind farm and this next stage of construction marks a significant step towards completing the project, which we hope to be fully operational by mid 2013.
"We're working very hard to use local companies, as much as possible, throughout the construction of this wind farm and have appointed Highlands based contractors and plant and machinery suppliers."
E.ON is committed to building and maintaining strong relationships with the communities surrounding its sites and a community benefits fund worth up to £150,000 per year will support local Caithness projects throughout the wind farm's lifetime.
Notes to editors:
1 Based on UK average annual domestic household electricity consumption of 4,725kWh.
Who's OnlineWe have 90 guests online
Latest News from DECC
Latest Non-Governmental Decentralised Energy Press Releases
- 23/09/14 - REA urges Prime Minister to embrace renewable future at UN Climate Summit
- 23/09/14 - Wave and tidal energy worth £217m to Scots economy – so far
- 22/09/2014 - WavePOD prototype gets ready for onshore testing
- 22/09/14 - Tata Steel Involved in Suction Bucket Project
- 22/09/14 - Royal endorsement plus people power creates unstoppable momentum for clean energy
- 19/09/14 - UK, Germany Sign Wind Power Collaboration Agreement
- 19/09/14 - Atlantis Closes GBP 51 Mln MeyGen Funding
- 19/09/14 - Lazard: Costs of Renewable Energy Sources Continue to Drop
- 18/09/14 - Goole Fields 1 Wind Farm is officially opened
- 18/09/14 - First food waste recycling plant in Wales awarded PAS 110 status